Friday, January 17, 2014

Honey Lavender Chia Seed Pudding



The first time I had chia seed pudding was at Organic Avenue. I just finished my workout and was craving something sweet. I had a choice between a raw cacao bar or the pudding. I decided to give the pudding a try since it resembled tapioca pudding and I'm a HUGE fan of tapioca pudding. After that I was hooked! My inspiration for this recipe comes from my addiction to chia seed pudding and the best gelato I've ever had in my life.

While in Rome, we stopped into this ever so conspicuous gelato shop nestled between a garden alley and a church. At first when we walked by, we didn't even realize it was a gelato shop, there was no sign! Business was good, so we decided to give it a try. I'm a huge fan of lavender so I had to try the Lavender and White Peach. It tastes just as good as it sounds. It was hands down the best gelato I've ever had. Mind you, I was on a two servings of gelato per a day for a month diet! ;)

Not only does this pudding taste good, but it's incredibly good for you. Chia seeds are an excellent source of calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, and copper. Believe it or not, but chia seeds have more calcium than milk and more iron than spinach! Enjoy!

Honey Lavender Chia Seed Pudding

3 tablespoons of honey lavender tea, cooled (steep the lavender in less water than you normally would for a more robust flavor)
3 tablespoons of agave nectar or maple syrup (optional, if  the desired sweetness was not already achieved through the cashew milk)
1/4 cup of chia seeds
About 1 cup of Cashew Milk (add more or less depending on consistency preference)

Cashew Milk

1 cup of raw cashews
2 cups of water (more is needed for soaking)
3 tablespoons of agave nectar

Makes 2 servings

First, soak the raw cashews overnight in water. After, drain the liquid and blend the cashews, water, and agave until smooth and milky. If a smooth consistency is not achieved, sieve the milk through a mesh strainer and/or through a cheese cloth.

Pour the cashew milk over the chia seeds. Stir in the honey lavender tea. Continue to stir the mixture, on/off, for the next 15 minutes. The chia seeds will slowly absorb the milk and the consistency of the mixture will thicken. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve with fresh fruit or on its own is good too!

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment